Epicenter is an organization created by Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) in 1986. We carry out field epidemiology, training and research activities for MSF interventions. Our activities for populations in precarious situations are carried out from Uganda, Niger and France, and through the programs of MSF and others. They mainly concern infectious diseases and malnutrition.
The purpose of the work
Are you looking for a rewarding professional experience?
Epicenter is looking for a Study Coordinator based in Sudan. The main objective of this position is to provide technical expertise to support 3 studies. LeishAccess is a research project comprising three individual studies focusing on leishmaniasis. The research is part of a larger collaborative effort, including Epicenter, MSF and DNDi as consortium members.
The PKDL study is a prospective observational study that aims to assess the burden and possible risk factors for relapse of post-kala-azar cutaneous leishmaniasis (PKDL) and visceral leishmaniasis (VL) in patients after successful treatment. VL in Sudan and South Sudan.
This prospective, mixed-methods observational study focuses on the assessment of disease burden, risk factors, and knowledge of VL among a nomadic group in Sudan.
Decentral aims to assess the impact of decentralization of VL diagnosis and treatment in Sudan and Ethiopia. This study also follows a mixed methods observational study design.
The epidemiologist position is under the technical supervision of Epicenter and integrated into the MSF Sudan mission.
You will be placed under the authority of MSF for administrative, logistical and security matters.
What you will bring
Skills to carry out your main activities:
Technical skills: In collaboration with his counterpart based in Paris (Principal Investigator (PI)), participates in the definition, planning and monitoring of research study activities by overseeing the implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and the monitoring of the study according to protocols, standards, and procedures. Coordinates the human and material resources necessary to ensure the quality of the study.
The Studies Coordinator is responsible for organizing the implementation of field studies. Its main tasks are:
• Participate in the development and implementation of study protocols, data collection forms and logs, standard operating procedures (SOPs), work plans and training materials, updating them as needed during studies
• Identify and report protocol deviations to PI
• In collaboration with the PI, the MSF administrative department/partner organizations and the project coordinators/partner field advisers, plan and supervise the associated processes of the study teams (recruitment, training, integration, performance evaluation, etc.) and monitoring on the budget at the field level
• Coordinate, supervise, coach, support and evaluate study teams
• In collaboration with the PI and the logistics department/partner organizations of MSF, plan and monitor material and logistical support. Monitor the consumption of study materials in collaboration with logistics and/or laboratory teams.
• Ensure compliance of studies with protocols and standards:
o Participate in the development of quality controls
o Ensure that study data collection forms and registers are correctly completed by study staff, and that the study identifier is correctly matched between data collection forms and laboratory samples, if applicable
o Ensure patient registration and informed consent for study participation are followed, as well as patient counseling
• Provide training to study teams (e.g. on completion of study forms, informed consent procedures, patient confidentiality and ethics, data entry, organization of records, collection and transport of biological samples, etc.)
• Ensure regular oral and written communication with the PI, as well as with the other partners involved in the study
• Liaise with study partners, local authorities and community members on behalf of the study team, reporting any potential issues or concerns to the PI
• Participate in the writing of study reports, presentations and publications
• Assist in the creation of legal documents (eg MTA & DTA, MoU, etc.)
Study specific responsibilities:
• Serve as a liaison between study staff, all study partners and Epicenter, ensuring smooth communication, regularly updating them on study progress, and anticipating and reporting any potential issues to the PI
• Participate in the development of REDCap databases (quantitative data) and thematic guides for group discussion/in-depth interview (qualitative data)
• Assistance in setting up a pseudonymization system by creating unique identification numbers.
• Assist in the development and implementation of study SOPs and training materials
• Coordinate and oversee quantitative data collection using REDCap software and tablets
• Coordinate and oversee qualitative data collection using NVivo software
• Organize and supervise the collection of clinical samples, laboratory processing and transport of samples, respecting all local and international regulations
• Supervise the study team, ensuring that all ethics, safety, security and study protocols are followed
• Oversee data entry, file organization and data storage, in compliance with GDPR
• Develop and perform quality checks to ensure verification of data entry (eg random verification of approximately 10% of all REDCap files)
Team management skills:
You will be asked to coordinate activities with different collaborators and partners, and to integrate yourself into a multidisciplinary, multinational and highly motivated team.
In close coordination with the Human Resources department and in line with MSF’s vision, policies and values, you can be involved in the processes of refining job descriptions, participating in the recruitment of local staff specifically involved in studies. , ensuring their thorough understanding of the protocol and methods. , data management, privacy, and human subject research protection standards and practices. You will do this by leading training and coaching, and contributing to team member performance reviews.
International context: you are willing and able to travel abroad. You have an excellent level of English (oral, written). French is a plus.
Education and experience: You have a master’s degree or similar high-level certification in epidemiology (or equivalent experience, including training and experience in public health). A degree in medicine or other paramedical studies (doctor, nurse, medical biologist) is an asset.
Live: Essential experience in project management. Desirable work experience in field research (relevant to the proposed research), medical or epidemiological project carried out in countries with limited resources, preferably with MSF. Previous experience desired as a clinical research associate.
Languages : Essential mission language; the local working language would be an asset
Essential computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Internet) and desirable software for data entry (RedCap)
Skills: Communication and diplomacy skills; Leadership and autonomy; People management and development; Teamwork and cooperation
What you will get
You will work with a multicultural team in the field of epidemiology research
You will evolve in the humanitarian environment
Your contributions and ideas will be valued and highly appreciated.
You will participate in the life of the association and your missions will evolve as your involvement progresses.
12-month fixed-term contract, extendable, with health coverage.
Position to be filled in early June 2022.
Position based largely in Khartoum, with travel to relevant field areas.
Remuneration according to experience and MSF salary scale.
How to register
Please send your application (CV + cover letter) no later than 05/30/2022.
Only the preselected candidates will be contacted. In the event that we have received enough qualified applications, we may unpublish before 05/30/2022.
At Epicenter, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. We welcome individual applications and ensure that they do not discriminate on the basis of gender, age, sexual orientation, nationality, race, religion, creed, capacity and all other characteristics of diversity;
Epicenter pays particular attention to the protection of the personal data of its members, collaborators and people wishing to join the association. The data collected during your application will be processed in a fair and quality manner, only by staff in charge of recruitment, wherever they are in the world for an MSF entity.