Technical assistance

USDA Recovery Programs


MANHATTAN, Kan. (WIBW) – In the aftermath of a windstorm, wildfires and extreme drought, the USDA has offered to help Kansas farmers rebuild.

As Kansas’ farming operations are severely affected by recent wildfires, an ongoing windstorm and severe drought, the US Department of Agriculture says it has put in place technical and financial assistance for farmers and herders on the road to recovery.

The USDA said affected producers should contact their USDA Service Center to report losses and learn about options to help them recover from loss and damage to crops, land, infrastructure and livestock.

“Production agriculture is vital to the Kansas economy, and the USDA is ready to help the recovery from these wildfires and extreme drought conditions,” said Robert Bonnie, Under Secretary for Agricultural production and conservation (APFC). “I assure you USDA employees are working diligently to deliver FPAC’s broad portfolio of disaster relief programs and services to all affected agricultural producers.

The ministry said those who suffer the death of livestock or sell injured livestock at reduced prices as a result of the fires may be eligible for the Livestock Compensation Program.

Meanwhile, the USDA has said that for the resumption of wildfires and drought, the Emergency Livestock, bee and farmed fish assistance program provides eligible people with assistance for food losses, water transportation costs, and food transportation. For ELAP, he said growers are required to file a loss notice within 30 days and bee losses within 15 days.

Eligible orchards and nurserymen may be eligible for shared-cost support through the Tree assistance program to replant or rehabilitate eligible trees, shrubs or vines lost during drought. He said the program complements the Uninsured Agricultural Disaster Assistance Program or crop insurance coverage, which covers the crop but not all plants or trees. For TAP, he said a program application must be completed within 90 days.

“Once you are able to safely assess the impact of wildfires or drought on your operation, be sure to contact your local FSA office to timely report all damage and loss. related to crops, livestock and agricultural infrastructure, ”said Charles (Chuck) Pettijohn, Acting State Director. director for the Agricultural service agency (FSA) in Kansas. “To expedite FSA disaster assistance, you will likely need to provide documentation, such as farm records, herd inventory, receipts, and photos of damage or loss.”

The ministry said the FSA also offers various direct and guaranteed services agricultural loans, which include operating loans and emergency agricultural loans, to producers unable to obtain commercial financing. Growers in counties with a primary disaster designation may be eligible for a low interest rate emergency loans to help recover from production and physical losses. He said the loans could help replace essentials, buy inputs like livestock, equipment, feed and seeds, cover family living costs or refinance farm debts. and other needs.

In addition to providing loans, the Department provides loan management options for those who are unable to make scheduled USDA farm debt payments for reasons beyond their control.

Those who have protection against risks by Federal crop insurance or FSA SIESTA must report the damage to their crop insurance agent or FSA office. If growers have crop insurance, they must report damage within 72 hours of discovery and follow up in writing within 15 days and for crops covered by NAP, a notice of loss must be filed within 15 days. days of discovery of loss, except crops, which must be reported within 72 hours.

“Crop insurance and other USDA risk management options are here to help growers manage risk because we never know what nature has in store for the future,” Collin said. Olsen, director of the RMA regional office that covers Kansas. “Licensed insurers, adjusters and agents are experienced and well trained to handle these types of events. “

Apart from primary nesting season, the USDA said emergency haymaking and grazing and not Conservation reserve program acres could be authorized to assist producers in areas affected by severe drought or similar natural disasters. Those interested in haying or grazing acres of CRP should contact their county FSA office to see if they are eligible.

the Emergency conservation program and Emergency forest restoration program could help landowners and forest stewards with financial and technical assistance to restore damaged fences, farmland or forests. In addition, it supports emergency conservation measures in times of severe drought.

The ministry said its Natural Resources Conservation Service is also always available to provide technical assistance in the recovery process by helping producers plan and implement conservation practices on farms, ranches and logged forests affected by a disaster.

Kansas producers could get technical and financial assistance to help with the proper disposal of dead livestock using a practice called Animal Mortality Management Through an Emergency Effort via Environmental quality incentive program. Additionally, he said the NRCS would seek opportunities to work with landowners to reapply conservation practices established through the EQIP that have failed due to wildfires and drought.

The USDA said producers who have experienced livestock losses are encouraged to file an EQIP application with their local NRCS office. the program allows farmers and ranchers to apply for Emergency management of animal mortality which can help cover the costs of cremation or burial of carcasses.

“The USDA can be a very valuable partner in assisting landowners in their recovery and resilience efforts,” said Karen Woodrich, NRCS State Conservationist in Kansas. “Our staff will work one-on-one with landowners to assess damage and develop approaches focused on effective land reclamation.”

The ministry said additional NRCS programs include the Emergency watershed protection program, which provides financial assistance to remedy degradation or dangers to watersheds, such as upland sites damaged and stripped of vegetation by forest fires, debris removal and riverbank stabilization to local governments

Those eligible for the EWP include cities, counties, towns, or any Native American tribe or tribal organization recognized by the federal government. Sponsors are required to submit a formal request for assistance to the State Curator within 60 days of the natural disaster or within 60 days of the date access to the sites becomes available.

“EWP provides immediate assistance to communities to mitigate potential risks to life and property resulting from fires and in particular from severe erosion and flooding that can occur after the fire,” said Woodrich. “We can work with a local sponsor to help a damaged watershed so that lives and property are protected while preventing further devastation in the community. “

In addition to the EWP, the USDA stated Technical conservation assistance is another service that the NRCS can provide in the aftermath of a forest fire. NRCS technical assistance can help victims plan cost-effective fire restoration practices.

For more help, visit the following sites:

Copyright 2021 WIBW. All rights reserved.